8.23.2011

Professional Woe's

Change is inevitable and necessary after a length of time in the same job.  I've been with my company nearly 7 years and in that time I began with on-the-job training and found myself working in the physician clinics.  It wasn't always easy, in fact most of the time it was long hours, no breaks, phone calls, and huge amounts of patients, but I had made it my own. I loved the interaction with not only patients, but my other co-workers and physicians. 

I was trained by the most amazing woman, Sheryl (RIP), who over the years became more of a second mom to me.  She taught me how to do things right and not take the easy way.  It was challenging and although the job was the same, there were aspects that constantly changed and kept me on my toes.  I was good at my job and very confident in my ability.  That was probably the reason one of my physicians asked me to apply for his secretarial position.  I didn't know anything about that job and I was even more terrified of leaving all of the people I had created bonds with, most importantly Sheryl.  At the time, she was undergoing a procedure which required a lengthy stay in the hospital.  We had made a promise to each other that if one of us moved to a different position, we both would or not at all.  She passed before I had the opportunity to talk to her.

As a secretary I was no longer confident in my position and pushed back to ground zero.  The previous secretary had moved to a different position outside of our company, but the women of the 5th floor were generous in their understanding and help.  Over the years things continued to climb and I once again became stable in my knowledge and ability of the job.  With the coming and going of different physicians, I had the opportunity to dive into new areas and expand my horizons professionally.  Today, I am on the verge of another move that could raise my experience or leave much to be desired.

With the recent vacancy of one of my physicians, I have been sailing through the days with not much on my plate.  As the months continued there was still no decision of what to do with me and my nerves (as well as my boredom) was becoming overwhelming.  The options that had been laid before me were not so appealing and wouldn't take me to that next level.  I need to feel that challenge again.  That fear of the unknown and the ability to take something and make it my own.  My job complacency has left a void of accomplishment that is long overdue... 20 more minuets and my fate shall be unveiled to me.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment